Search RoHo Blog

Friday, July 29, 2011

Meal No. 328: Grilled London Broil

Somehow, Thursday night at the Roediger House turned out to be a night of revelry, laughter, fun, shouts and hoots, and a drinking game, mixed in with some episodes of Doctor Who from the BBC.

I do love my beer and try to keep some good offerings on hand here in my multiple refrigerators. And most nights I'll have a couple, or maybe three, in connection with dinner. I am getting too old to consume a dozen, and that's what made getting my day started on this Friday a bit of a chore. Still, a young whippersnapper who thought to challenge me went down in sleepy defeat.

Now, for the evening's supper...

Tempted by the half-price sale going on at Harris-Teeter, I figured I'd give myself another shot at trying to make a good London Broil meal. This one is grilled, and I slipped up and let it stay on the grill long enough to overcook. But it's a good-looking piece of meat and it gave off a wonderful aroma both when it was cooking and while I was slicing it. I added a Bernaise sauce to it because it was quick, not because it was the proper accompaniment.


And I'm just not a fan of tough meat. I also tried making angel biscuits but I don't think I was using good yeast, and the fat did not mix in very well. The asparagus were way over-cooked (foil packet on the grill also) but the baked potatoes were good.




"London Broil for a Gas Grill," from Cook's Illustrated, May/June 2006, p. 11-13.

No comments: