Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Meal No. 322: Turkey with Onion-Garlic-Thyme Sauce

Saturday night's gathering at the Roediger House was another occasion for a big meal for a table full of people. I wanted to try out a slow-cooker recipe for turkey breast just to see what I thought of it, and I pulled one from Slow Cooker Revolution.

I am not yet convinced that the slow-cooker recipes in this cookbook are better than other versions (compare this meal to its slow-cooker counterpart, for instance). While tonight's turkey breast was well-cooked and quite good, it still turned out to be a tad dry. Not at all like the moist, flavorful turkey that's been served up as part of the several "Thanksgiving" meals I've made over the last year (not just November, but also December, May and June).


Now, I did not go all out as would be the case when I'm trying to put together the traditional Thanksgiving meal. To go with the turkey, there was buttery mashed potatoes and garden peas. I think the biggest hit of the evening, though, was the sauce made from the liquid used to help the turkey breast simmer and cook. It had garlic, onion, carrot, wine, broth, and thyme in it. I also added the turkey gravy packet that came with the frozen breast, along with some butter and flour.


There was no turkey left over, and it turns out I did not make enough mashed potatoes. But the crew seemed content with how the meal went, and that's always good news to my ears.

No comments: