Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Meal No. 265: Spicy Sichuan Noodles with Pork & Shiitake Musrooms

Tonight's meal: spicy Sichuan noodles made with pork and shiitake mushrooms, served over pasta noodles. I think I made it a bit too spicy, but what a lot of good flavor in it.


On another note, I have begun today to really exhibit what appears to be Pine Nut Syndrome: a very bitter, metallic taste in my mouth, exacerbated when I am eating or tasting things. The online information available about this says it may last up to two weeks. Darn it. Guess those were cheap Chinese pine nuts I've been buying from the Harris Teeter and incorporating into Israeli couscous, quinoa, and pizza.


From Cook's Illustrated, from America's Test Kitchen. Published May 1, 2001.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good think you posted the link to the pine mouth description...I wouldn't have believed you otherwise. That is totally weird.

Ray said...

The online info about this nasty pine mouth syndrome (AKA: PMS) suggests it lasts about two weeks. But I am finding that things are already starting to feel / taste a little better. I'll definitely be avoiding Chinese pine nuts from now on, though. Last night's beef tenderloin was probably good, but you couldn't prove it by my tastebuds.