Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Time Capsule and Reworked Wireless Network

Confession: I'm trying to catch up on some things that I had planned to blog about but just haven't gotten around to. The following is actually from September 2010, believe it or not.

Back in 2004, not long after a visit to Charlottesville with my friends Pat & John Lloyd, I came home inspired to get an iPod and also to set up a wireless network in the house. That's when I got my first Airport Extreme. But it had become finicky and was requiring frequent resets. I've also had the bad luck of buying a Lacie external hard drive for backups that ended up failing on me. For quite a while I'd gone without backing up my computer, which is known as "living dangerously," because my laptop is essential for my work.

The picture below is of an Apple Time Capsule, which is a hard drive and router that permits automatic seamless wireless backups of my computer, whenever I'm home. I got it at the start of September and also used this as an excuse to rework the wireless set-up in the house.


No lie: exactly two weeks after setting up the Time Capsule and beginning hourly backups, the hard drive on my MacBook Pro laptop failed and all data was lost. But the Time Capsule had me back up (ha ha: back up!) and running in no time.


With the new Time Capsule as my primary base station, I was able to get both of my Airport Express routers in service (previously, my Airport Extreme was unable to provide service using both of them). So now I have more wireless coverage upstairs and down, and I also am free to pipe music wirelessly to speakers up or down. I like that.

1 comment:

Jay and Tracy Brown said...

that is a nice piece of equipment...sorry to hear about the tumbling chimney bricks.