Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Meal No. 226: Kung Pao Chicken

My undergraduate years were spent at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and halfway through my time there, a position in student government brought me into contact with a man named Al Calarco. At the time, Al was the associate director of University Housing. I was already well involved in Avery Dorm government, but I had not yet come across Al. It took trying to resolve the hardship parking issues that resident advisors felt they were facing to bring us into contact with one another.

After some 20 years with UNC, Al took a position with the Center for Creative Leadership in Greensboro, and he and I managed to reconnect once we were both living in the Triad area together. Tonight was (I think) his third time at the Roediger House, so he saw it before the renovation and now for a second time since the addition was completed.

The dinner menu this evening: stir fry, with a version of or take on kung pao chicken, with an extra dose of spiciness. Which made the dessert of Emeril's chocolate cream pie that much more soothing to the palate.

No comments: