Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Two-Year Anniversary of the Project

It was on this day in 2008 that the renovation and addition project began. I was working up in Virginia but Pete LaRoque and his crew showed up and started demolition of the old kitchen and mudporch on the back of the house, and we were underway.

Now, two years later, I get to enjoy an amazing kitchen that I pretty much spend most of my time in, thanks to its expanse of space and warmly accommodating "fireside" area. The new bathrooms are also pretty wonderful and I like how my architect Sam Binkley managed to create attractive and useful spaces for those accompanying necessities of life.

Over the weekend, as I thought back to my mad scramble two years ago to clean out all the areas slated for demolition, I guess it's interesting that my general contractor is not yet through with me or with the house. He and Robert were back on Saturday to continue working on the damage that seems to have been caused by the faulty HVAC system installed by Barnette Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc., of Mocksville, NC. Pete patched the hole in the ceiling above the wetbar where the leak had come through, and he and Robert also laid much of the tile in the northwest bathroom, whose exterior wall contains the HVAC lines that likely froze and thawed when the system had that humongous leak in it.




No comments: