Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Low and Dry

Not sure if it's just unexplained phenomena, or if the issue of cellar flooding might now be much-contained. But here's a shot of the cellar from a few weeks ago right after Winston-Salem had had a heckuva massive downpour of rain:


I noted back in May 2009, when the gutters on the addition were installed, that I was worried that the downspout outside the master suite would exacerbate the problems I'd already been having there with water getting into the cellar. As recently as March, it was clear that a wet cellar was going to be the rule of the day each time it rained good and much.

The way my general contractor had routed the run-off from the downspout in question meant that water was going to really pile up in the soft ground around the foundation on that south side of the house. I talked about this in a blog entry a few months ago, noting how much washing there was along the side of the porch and across the front yard. That's when I got the idea to try to get as much of that water at least out onto the parking area as possible.

The picture at the top seems to bear out the wisdom of that small adjustment. It's not the permanent solution, but I like the looks of a dry cellar for a change.

No comments: