Search RoHo Blog

Monday, July 5, 2010

Movie Night No. 2: Auntie Mame

Among the joys of summer is the chance to get the outdoor movie nights underway again. The first one of the season, shown in mid-June, was more of a private affair for good friends and out-of-town guests. For Independence Day last night, it was the evening's entertainment to have the first general gathering of friends for a movie night.

The film: Rosalind Russell's 1958 performance in the title role of Auntie Mame, a rip-roaring and occasionally touching film for which there is no true parallel. It's quite a film, and the gathering of 14 folks let out enough guffaws that I think it can be judged a success.

Since I've had some time at home as I enjoy the second half of my vacation this summer (the first half being spent in Maine), I was able to whip up a pile of goodies (the cinnamon chip-oatmeal cookies and fudge already blogged about), as well as a big freezer of key lime frozen custard, which was very good, I think. I think the guests became weary of my pushing so much food on them.



Because it's the warm days of summer, it was the kind of night where some of us could linger afterwards, first outside with some music still going, and then back in side gathered 'round the island in the kitchen. So it was a late night, but it was a pleasure to have Jay and Tracy Brown stay over. When we all got up the next morning, I served some pumpkin muffins and fresh fruit to go with our coffee:



I think Tracy might be able to talk Jay into coming back:

No comments: