Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Meal No. 90: Pizza Again

The pizza bug bit me. I downloaded some recipes for pizza crust, gathered together the leftover ingredients from Sunday's pizza-making extravaganza, and I set to work trying my hand at pizza again. And as you can see from this first picture, I'm still much too much of a novice. You can't go piling your stuff up on a pizza and expect it to actually bake all the way through in the middle. And I was timid in the crust making, because truth-be-told, I've not done a whole lot of direct work with breads and yeast and such. So I don't yet have a knack for it. The crust tasted fine, but it didn't rise up as much as I'd hoped. This is about a 10-ingredient pizza, starting with a mixed flour crust with oregano, basil, and garlic powder mixed into it. Once again, a pesto base felt like the way to go. Then: mozzarella, sliced Roma tomatoes, chopped Vidalia onion, cubed portabella mushroom, asiago cheese, feta cheese, cheddar cheese, sliced sweet peppers, and chopped garlic spiced shrimp. It required extra baking time and I think I let the pesto spread on a bit too thick. But it was still a delicious pizza when it all came out and was ready for the eating. Next time, though, I need to remember what 475° F does to slices of tomato: I burned the ever-loving heck out of the roof of my mouth.

2 comments:

Brendan said...

You may want to try using a preheated cast iron skillet to bake your pizza in, if you've got one. It acts like a pizza stone (which I couldn't tell if you had) and makes a really nice, crispy crust.

I can't help but think that perhaps some of the leftover bacon grease from an old skillet hurts the flavor, either.

Ray said...

Two of the three recent pizzas were cooked up on a pizza stone, but I would like to try something that can give me more of a deep dish effect. Can you believe I don't own an iron skillet? I'll have to do a little exploring, though, because this will be worth trying.