Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Barnette's Quick Response

I'll give Greg Barnette props for a speedy response: he was at the house the day after I reported that my upstairs HVAC system was not working. Turns out it had frozen up and he worked about an hour to get it up and running again.

Here's what I'm not giving props for: apparently a dirty filter is enough to bring this system to its knees, which makes me wonder about this unit. Now, because I wasn't at home when he came to fix things, I don't know if the frozen-up part was in the air handler unit in the attic, or in the external heat pump unit, or somewhere in between. It was pretty hot in both places: outside and in. Still, this thing cost me too much money to be that fragile about the conditions under which it is and isn't willing to work. I need a dependable workhorse; have I got something else instead?



Because it gets worse, and here's the other thing I don't get: Greg says I shouldn't have lights burning upstairs because it makes the system work too hard and can lead to future freeze-ups. Forty-watt bulbs on nightstands in two of the bedrooms will also bring my system to its knees? Pardon my incredulity, and disappointment.

No comments: