Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Final Payment; Semi-Final Corrections



It's almost time to say goodbye to Peter LaRoque of LaRoque Construction of Mocksville, NC, the general contractor for the addition and renovation project that got this whole blog started. (Here's Pete pictured with the ever-faithful Robert, the only guy in his crew he's not laid off. This photo is from December 10, 2008, when the subflooring was laid for the kitchen area.)

After three Saturdays spent fixing and correcting problems, or addressing things that were left undone, I was finally able to write a check for the final one percent of the project. We're not done with one another, though: there will be quite a few repairs to be made in drywall where corners have separated. But we're going to let the house go through one more change of a season before we go to tackling those things.

When Pete was wrapping up today, he asked if I was worried that he was not going to come back to make good on his work. I told him that, quite honestly, when I did my survey of all the problems that had cropped up in the first few months living in the new space, I was simply overwhelmed. He assured me again that he'll stand behind his work and that he'll be back to address any other issues with his craftsmanship. I'll take him at his word.

No comments: