Search RoHo Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Downtown Living

Since the house is located just off Fourth Street and just west of downtown, it is a fantastic homebase for being able to take advantage of the good things offered by downtown Winston-Salem. I am walking distance from a lot of very good restaurants and drinking spots, as well as several entertainment venues. This was one of the key attractions for buying the house back in 2003: I like very much the idea of being down in the heart of things.

For instance, on many a Sunday morning (and no shortage of lunches and dinners), you might find me at 6th & Vine (209 W. Sixth Street), a very unique cafe and wine bar with great food and a wait staff so cool you just want to take 'em home with you. The Sunday brunch is fantastic, and while I'm too often guilty of driving up there, it is also a very easy half-mile walk from the house. They win hands-down for being the eating spot of first and most frequent resort for me. The following would be a suitable representation of my view from the couch when I'm there for brunch:



After coming in off the road on Friday night and catching a late dinner out, it's nice to take the short stroll behind the house and drop in on Caffe Prada for some satisfying artisinal gelato. Located at the corner of Broad and Fourth Streets, in the beautiful West End Village, Caffe Prada boasts the feel of "a European cafe" with easy counter service, sidewalk seating, bright interior, and a selection of cafe favorites and fun twists on the theme.

My most recent excursion to this neighbor of mine gave me a chance to sample their Euro Yogurt gelato, a crazily tasty concoction that I couldn't quite get enough of. I also sampled the pink lemonade and the mango gelato, which were also highly tempting, but one must be as restrained as possible in these enticing encounters with Caffe Prada's goodies.


Photograph from Caffe Prada's Facebook Page

No comments: