Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Movie Screen Resurrection

Having the third chimney leak event was not the only consequence of the heavy rains that occurred on November 11, 2009, as the remnants of Hurricane Ida traveled over North Carolina and Virginia. The outdoor movie screen, which I'd never quite gotten around to taking down for the winter, took a beating and ended up face-first on the parking area.

The problem was I'd never gotten replacement support poles after that freaky thunder- and hailstorm on September 28...the movie season wasn't over, because The Shining was still to come on that cold night in October. But the bending meant that the screen wasn't really firmly supported anymore, and any good wind was going to present a potential catastropic toppling.

And that's what happened with the dying breaths of Hurricane Ida while I was up in Virginia working: the movie screen went down. This is where I have to confess to being too much of a slacker on some things, because I needed to get new support poles before it made sense to set it up again. But I was traveling, and then it was the holidays, and I just got kind of used to the screen lying there.



Finally, though, I made the run to Lowe's that was necessary and new support poles were obtained and I could set the screen back up. This is really to give the screen enough washings from rainy days so that I can remove the tarp and stow it for the winter. What's left of the winter, that is.

New Roediger Theatre season begins in three or four months!

No comments: