Search RoHo Blog

Monday, January 25, 2010

The Leaking Chimney...Again

As faithful blog readers know, I contracted with Pete LaRoque of LaRoque Construction in Mocksville, NC, to build an addition to my house and to undertake significant renovation work on the existing house. The bulk of the project took place from November 2008 through June 2009, but some issues do remain. Case in point: a leaking roof.

I suppose I could understand a construction team having trouble getting the flashing around some old chimney to work out properly. But brand new construction, with a fresh-built chimney and brand-new roof? It doesn't seem it ought to have been that hard to get right.



So, the roof around the chimney for the fireplace in my new kitchen continues to leak when there's a heavy amount of rain or a snow build-up: March 1, 2009; June 5, 2009; November 11, 2009; December 25, 2009; and now January 24-25, 2010. With the first leak, the story was that the counterflashing had not been installed. With the second, it was that it had not been properly sealed. I never heard anything else about repairs after I reported the leak on November 11, and now that it's leaked twice more, it's pretty clear I'm due a convincing repair, and a clear accounting for why this is happening at all.

No comments: