Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What's Cool and What's Cold


This is the new beverage cooler that I got for the wetbar. I like to have an ample supply of cold beer and sodas on hand, which is why I've had a whole shelf in the side-by-side as well as two dorm fridges going for the last five years. (Well, longer: I had two fridges even in my Range Room at the University of Virginia.) I did much online study and comparison before settling on this dandy little number from Summit Professional Appliances. Yes, it's a commercial undercounter fridge, with 5.5 cu ft capacity. It seemed to me to be perfect in all the right ways.

Except the sodas and beers didn't seem all that cold coming out of it. Not nearly as crisply cold and satisfyingly stinging as these beverages had been coming out of my trusty old black Danby dorm fridge (spotted in this pic, to the right of the old stove in the temporary kitchen). I kept nudging the thermostat up to colder levels until it could go no higher. Well, then I spotted this morning strange brown liquid pooled at the bottom of this fine cooler, and it turns out the fridge CAN get incredibly cold, at the rear.



Now I just need someone who will regularly rotate my stock.

Feeling Quilty. How's this for a great present and a terrific new adornment for the fireplace?


A Few More Visitors. While the place ain't finished yet, it's still fun to bring folks through it and let them check it out. Those who got to pass through lately include Jen Martin and Jen Watson, Danny McGuinn, and Monica Alonso (who does a great job as head chef at 6th & Vine).

No comments: